Meat or other protein source (usually eggs) Fat source—This may already be in your protein; for example, bacon and eggs have fat in them. But if your protein source is “lean,” add some fat in the form of butter, cream (in coffee), or cheese. Low-carbohydrate vegetable (if desired)—This can be in an omelet or a breakfast quiche.
Meat or other protein source Fat source—If your protein is “lean,” add some fat, in the form of butter, salad dressing, cheese, cream, or avocado. 1 to 11⁄2 cups of salad greens or cooked greens 1⁄2 to 1 cup of vegetables
Low-carbohydrate snack that has protein and/or fat
Meat or other protein source Fat source—If your protein is “lean,” add some fat in the form of butter, salad dressing, cheese, cream, or avocado. 1 to 11⁄2 cups of salad greens or cooked greens 1⁄2 to 1 cup of vegetables
Bacon or sausage & Eggs
Grilled chicken on top of salad greens and other vegetables, with bacon, chopped eggs, and salad dressing
Pepperoni slices and a cheese stick
Burger patty or steak Green salad with other acceptable vegetables and salad dressing Green beans with butter
Start by checking the nutrition facts.
• Look at serving size, total carbohydrate, and fiber.
• Use total carbohydrate content only.
• You may subtract fiber from total carbohydrate to get the “effective or net carb count.”
For example, if there are 7 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber, the difference yields 4 grams of effective carbohydrates.
That means the effective carbohydrate count is 4 grams per serving.
• No need to worry—at this point—about calories or fat.
• Effective carbohydrate count of vegetables should be 5 grams or less.
• Effective carbohydrate count of meat or condiments should be 1 gram or less.
• Also check the ingredient list.
Sugar by any other name is still sugar! All of these are forms of sugar: sucrose, dextrose, fructose, maltose, lac- tose, glucose, honey, agave syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, brown-rice syrup, molasses, evaporated cane juice, cane juice, fruit-juice concentrate, corn sweetener.